Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Measure of a True Character Is Never Seen in the Amount of Publicity That Is Given

Lindsay Lohan, 24, was all over the news this past week because she's a celebrity and she's a drug addict.


Justin Allen 23, Brett Linley 29, Matthew Weikert 29, Justus Bartett 27, Dave Santos 21, Chase Stanley 21, Jesse Reed 26, Matthew Johnson 21, Zachary Fisher 24, Brandon King 23, Christopher Goeke 23, and Sheldon Tate 27 are Marines, not celebrities. They all died while defending of our country against terrorism. They, unlike Lindsay Lohan, received little media mention.

I wish to honor these dead Marines by posting their names and expressing my appreciation to their families for the sacrifice they have made in order that my family might remain both free and safe.

14 comments:

Steve Mills said...

Wade, thank you for posting this. As a Navy Chaplain, I have served Marines in Iraq. I asked one why he joined. He said "My country needed protecting and I figured it was my turn." May God hold all thos serving in combat close to His heart.
Steve Mills

Bob Cleveland said...

Amen, and amen.

Christiane said...

Thank you for doing this, Wade.

Darrell said...

Wow, thank you Wade.

Do you mind if I re-post this on another site?

grace
Darrell

Unknown said...

Wade,
This is a re-post from July when these Soldiers died...it has gone viral. The posting is personal to me because LT Chris Goeke was a cadet at West Point while I served there. In fact, he and I met together every week in my office to talk about the upcoming Sunday. He served the West Point community as the Cadet Sunday School Superintendent. Chris was a great role model. I thank for him for his selfless sacrifice and testimony of a Christ follower.

wadeburleson.org said...

Paige,

Thanks. I was sent this from a church member. You knowing one of the soldiers makes it even more personal.

Darrell,

Sure!

believer333 said...

Thank you for this. Our church did a ministry of letters and postcards to some of the soldiers a while back. Would have loved to have heard back from some of them.

So many young people dying in wars that should not be. :(

Aussie John said...

Wade,

I say "Amen!" to that,as well. In our country sportsmen and politicians are all over the front page, and the main stories on TV. We have lost several fellows in Afghanistan recently, who barely receive a mention.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Louis

shadowspring said...

Thank you for honoring these soldiers.

P M Prescott said...

I'm now retired, but the high school where I taught has seen three former students make the ultimate sacrifice and many more come back less than whole. There is truly something wrong with our media when so much attention is paid to those the least deserving.

Paul J said...

Amen and Amen!

Anonymous said...

Wade,
Thanks for mentioning this...Every Sunday morning on "This Week" on ABC every military person who has died in war is mentioned.

Gerry Milligan

Anonymous said...

Amen! I concur, Wade, and deeply appreciate these men and their grieving families.